If there is anything lately that I have become obsessed with, it has to be the act of decluttering. I have to be honest, for me- it is an extremely rewarding and therapeutic experience.
If you have been sitting on the fence and just procrastinating to dig deep to wisely organize all your essentials, here is a quick guide.
1. Approach it Right- Don’t think of it as a task whereas consider it to be an activity which will make both your mind and room or house pleasant and beautiful. It may seem like a lot of work, but if organized well- your days ahead will be much easier and peaceful as finding things you need wouldn’t be so hard.
2. Step by Step- Don’t set unrealistic goals wherein you empty out all your cupboards one fine day and crowd your bed, sofa and every possible spot. You will exhaust yourself in no time and feel overwhelmed and irritated. To truly enjoy this exercise, take a step by step approach wherein you can start with one shelf or one drawer or one cupboard.
3. Think, Segregate and Organize- At the moment a stapler may be coming out of your hair accessories or those safety pins would finally be found tucked under heaps of sheets, so it is essential to think, segregate and organize category wise. Break it down to basics. For instance:
a) Clothing- Make some sort of demarcation for-everyday casual clothes, formal shirts and dresses, Indian wear, night suits and so on.
b) Essentials- Underclothes, socks, hair clips and so on
c) Accessories- Bags, Shoes, Belts, Jewellery etc
d) Beauty- Makeup, Extensions, Styling tools and so on
While you organize your shelves, think about what you need often and make sure that those things are placed somewhere easily accessible.
4. Playing around with the Extras- This is an extremely important step. Now, there would be items which you haven’t used in years but keep hoping you will wear it someday. The chances are slim that would actually wear it now because if you had to, you would have. You have several options in hand depending on the condition of the item. You can either sell it on one of the many such portals, donate for a cause, pass it on to a cousin or friend or in the case it is brand new then do not hesitate but keep it for gifting purposes.
Also, make sure to reduce your paper load, duplicate or expired items. Do trash items which are screaming to find their place nowhere else but in the bin.
5. Reward yourself- Yes, after much hard work and distribution you may realize you need more of something- so do explore your options but make sure to first organize all what you have before you purchase more.
6. Lastly and most importantly, while you feel lighter and see some space around you after the above activity- respect it and try to not overcrowd your closets or make a mess of them as you are well aware of all the sweat that goes in getting the stuff organized.